Friday, October 11, 2013

From the archives...IV "Man Points"


"Man Points"

Posted Feb 12, 2012 7:52pm

Hey there! We returned from a short vacation several weeks ago...refreshed, rejuvenated & recharged! I knew we were in for some fun when the smallest of the small ones asked if he had to pack his toothbrush - after informing him that there are some things that we do NOT leave home without, we were on our way!

Have you ever had one of those moments when your mate does something so incredibly ingenious, so creative, so perfect...that well...you feel like you must spend the rest of your waking moments trying to express your gratitude? That's right ladies! It's like how fine your man looks when he is unloading that dishwasher!! Ok, sorry...FOCUS! Here's the skinny: We were headed back into our hotel one evening - the boys are empty-handed (naturally) - and the matriarch of the family is saddled with the camera bag, cooler bag, left-overs, goody bags from the gift shop, purse & whatever other items that I simply cannot live without. The biggest of the small ones is leading the pack through the door, Tater scoots in after him before the door closes & there I am with all the gear - door shut in my face and not a spare pinky to get the portal open. I just stand there, look at Tracy and say: "Really?!". This lead to a discussion between Mama & Papa Bear about the vain attempts to teach our little baby bears manners - and if they will ever realize that there are others in the world besides them...

So the days of fun and vacational bliss zoom by and it's the morning of check out, the boys are restless - having packed their bags, so Tracy takes them for a walk on the beach while I gather together the other 39 bags of stuff (being a former girl scout isn't always what it's cracked up to be). When they returned from the beach, they not only had a load of shells to show off - but some news for Mom.

This was the first time I was introduced to the concept of Man Points. Tracy had a very lively talk about how to treat others, especially ladies. And since I'm the only lady in their life, I get to be the recipient of all sorts of goodness! This includes having my car door opened and closed for me, having the door held for me as I enter and exit buildings, having help toting in the groceries without threatening bodily harm, I no longer carry my chair to/from the van at the ballfield, the small ones offer to help carry whatever I am carring in my hands...
After every display of manners, the boys earn 1 Man Point - at the end of the day one of the small ones gets bragging rights for the day with the highest number of Man Points. And because my boys are fiercely competitive...the Queen of the house feels like royalty!

My man is a genius!!

The competion keeps them going , so the real test came the other day when it was just Owen and I headed to the store to buy a football. I pull into the parking lot and O hollers: "Mommy, stay in the car!". He jumps out, comes around and opens my car door, waiting for me to exit then closes it. My 7 year old did this all on his own! And when we returned to the car, same thing. I have to admit that I got a little misty.

Now, before you start thinking that we have it all together and will be nominated for the next parenting award, it's still a work in progress...Being the boys that they are, they fight over who is going to hold the door and who earns the point - which has led to them letting the door slam in others faces. So they have learned that what they earn can just as easily be taken away :).

.So, Micah looks at me several weeks ago and says:  "When are you going to take me to the eye doctor?".  Come again??  Why do you need to go to the eye doctor?  "I can't see".  Huhh!  And what do you know!  Blind as a bat!  Definitely not getting that parent of the year award now!

Much love - the Becks

 

No comments:

Post a Comment