Thursday, October 10, 2013

From the archives...II


Angel Oak

Posted Dec 28, 2010 4:58pm

I went for a walk the other day around the hospital just to get some fresh air and enjoy the sites of downtown. I was moseying along the sidewalk, chitchatting on the phone when I heard someone walking behind me - a kind of sketchy looking fellow in a trench coat was tailing me and spooked me just a tad. Because it was Christmas day, I was by myself and I know that everyone gets a little squirrelly during the holidays - I quickly crossed the street to throw off the weirdo (obviously you see who the squirrelly one is - I read way too many crime novels and watch more NCIS and Criminals Minds than is probably healthy) and stumbled upon a park with walking paths and hundred year old Angel Oak trees. There were benches under the trees, so I sat for a while. Under the dome of these massive trees, the LORD put this very literal image in my mind. Just as I was protected under those trees, with their branches touching the ground in a perfect circle around me...so is HIS love and care and protection and strength surrounding our family.

As I sat there taking it all in, I noticed that a small branch was broken and hanging down - so low in fact, that I had to walk around it. It was the only part of these tremendous trees that I could touch while I was standing directly beneath. It became clear to me that the broken branch is my choice...our choice. Will I reach out to the hand of God that is always extended to me and seek HIS refuge? Will I grab on and dare not let go until the blessings come? Will I seek shelter under HIS protection or live in worldly fear? The walls of the hospital can close in on you sometimes and Jesus gave me this very real sanctuary a few blocks from where Tracy is; a very literal reminder of HIS power and love.

Psalm 91:1-2
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
Psalm 142:1-2
With my voice I cry out to the LORD;
with my voice I plead for mercy to the LORD.
I pour out my complaint before him;
I tell my trouble before him.
v.5
I cry to you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living."

From under the oak tree...hanging on!
Robin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment